Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thursday Thoughts

Perfectionist
I would venture to say that this word has never been used in a sentence with my name... EVER. I am the exact opposite of this... a non-perfectionist, one might call me. This almost drove my mother to drinking when she was trying to teach me to quilt. Let's just say, my corners didn't meet up and the rotary cutter was NOT my friend, especially when it came to triangles.

I admire perfectionists, I do. I have them in my class every year and marvel at their determination. I just don't feel the need to be 'perfect.' Maybe it's because I don't like to set unattainable goals. I will NEVER be perfect, so I won't try to be. My children, house, husband, car, classroom, etc. will never be perfect, so why try to kill myself trying to make it so?

College was my major exception. Someone once told me that I couldn't do it. I saw that as a challenge and aside from a few minor blips (*cough* Dr. Kaplan's reading 411 *cough*) college was, indeed, pretty close to perfect.

I am starting to see that 'college' mentality with my photography. I am so far from perfect when it comes to my pictures, I can't even see where perfect would begin if it one day decided to just be mediocre. But I want to be... I want to take classes, I want a mentor, I want more lessons on lighting, software, composition.... I just don't know where to go.

Do you know how frustrating it is to want to improve yourself, but not knowing how to go about doing it?

3 comments:

  1. I know a Dallas photographer holds classes- check out kimberly wylie photographer. She holds them with another photog. Might be nice to learn from someone doing the same thing. Also, check out Paul Johnson Photography- he and his wife Micheal also hold seminars (FL). Then, these might not be any good- but, I know certain Camera Brands have seminars teaching to use their cam's. Also, I think a couple blogger Mom's give good tips- but I think you know all those. Try MckMammas Blog & Dru B Blog. I think you are PERFECT Photog and I truely admire how fast you have learned. I love your style and whats neat to me is the style is the PERFECT non perfect pose-lol! Good LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of the New York Institute of Photography's distance course. You can take up to 3 years to complete it, and it comes with all sorts of dvds and books, plus you have a mentor. I can't remember the price of it when I looked, but you get to keep all the material. And since you have a business, you could write it off on your taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help with the photography, but if you need some tips on being a perfectionist, just ask my wife!

    ReplyDelete