Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday Thoughts- Guilty

Guilty
Today, I am considering myself lucky that no one really reads this blog, because I am totally neglecting it! I feel so guilty. I am cheating on this blog. There, I said it. I am cheating on this blog with my new class blog I am setting up for next year.
Here's the deal. I am a tech savy parent. If a teacher sends a newsletter home in a folder, I may or may not read it. I may or may not even see the folder that housed above mentioned newsletter, but regardless, chances are I ain't seein a newsletter!
I have a sneaky feeling there are lots of parents like me. Now, email on the other hand.... if I get an email from a teacher, that is the first thing I look at. I don't know why, but it is what it is! So, I am starting a blog. I am making the blog private, letting only parents-grandparents of students in my class in to read it (oh, and y'all if I know you and trust you). Parents will have to sign a release to let me post pics/ vid of their kids and most (if not all) will. I am currently post dating posts, such as spelling words, phonics poems, etc that I KNOW I will be teaching on certain weeks. One example being, on week 2 of school we study the -at family, so Monday morning, the -at family poem will post to the blog, along with an oral activity for parents and kids to do together.
My dream is to take 'snapshots' of our daily school life to share with our loved ones. I know that I send my kids off at 7:40 and don't really see them again until 3:00 and don't have a great understanding of what they do all day. I want to provide that understanding for my families, to stimulate conversations at home, and help mom and dad understand what 1st grade is all about :) Thoughts? I'd love feedback on this!

4 comments:

  1. Can you please move to the 2nd grade and be Zachary's teacher again...please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, he has been such a dream! With any luck, you'll get your former neighbor and have a great year... not that you wouldn't with any of the other teachers, but I know y'all are friends :) I did 2nd once... I like 1st so much better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! You can set one up for my class too if you want...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm not even in College Station anymore, but that is a GREAT idea! If I had a child in first grade (or any grade) I would love that.

    ReplyDelete