Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I know, lovely picture from the photographer- I JUST took it with my iPhone, not the fancy schmancy camera I have :)
Anyway, this is our home-away-from-home for approx. 12 days, starting in 10 days... confused yet?



I should start by saying this is a little bitter sweet for me. See, when we originally decided to take this camping adventure, I was a tad apprehensive (umm, have you MET me???) and frankly, had no intention of- a) getting 'into' this trip or b)having any fun whatsoever. Well, my husband quickly figured this out, so he decided to 'redo' our camper in an effort to 'rally the troops' (ie. ME)... that's right, our 1973 Coleman pop up camper that sleeps 4 (yes, there are 6 of us). Ok, we replaced the floor, re tiled, painted all the 70's wood a really hip red and reupholstered the booth cushions in a really trendy striped fabric... the booth cushions were all I really did :) The overall product was mesmerizing... at least from the stand point that it WAS from 1973, it was FREE and the remodel actually made me buy into the whole 'camping' thing... a little!



Ok, fast forward a few weeks and we get a call, or rather a text from my dad that his friend is getting rid of his pop-up and would we like to go see it? My immediate reaction was "Ummm, NO, does he even REALIZE how much time WE spent redoing ours???" (which was really Stacey- 3 straight days in the blinding heat, me- 2 hours one evening with a staple gun and a Bud Lime, but whatever). Then he mentioned that it was a 1995, sleeps 6, has a sink, stove, and microwave, and doesn't smell like, well, a 1973 pop up camper. Ok, by that point I was intrigued.



We looked, we smiled, we bought.



Now I have guilt that we promised that 37 year old camper that we were going to take her to Yellowstone and then left her for a newer, younger model. Isn't that every woman's nightmare??? So now we have a garage that holds 2 campers... but the one pictured above is our new one- here is the old one:



I did my remodel magic on the new one as well, making new curtains and recovering the booth seats and will take inside pics soon. It's set up in our driveway as we start packing it up- so far we have a bath basket (all the stuff we'll take to the showers in YS) toothbrushes and tooth paste, hiking backpacks with first aid kids, and all that jazz, camping chairs, minimal dishes, towels, and last night I made the beds. We pull out of town Friday morning, 3am-ish (July 9th). We are trying to get to Manitou Springs to see my friend Clare by a decent hour Friday, before heading out again at some ungodly hour Saturday morning for the remainder of our, what I'm sure is to be a family bonding and incident free drive to Wyoming.

More on the trip later- I know I have more to say, but I'll save it for tomorrow and hopefully will NEVER go this long without blogging again!

1 comment:

  1. let me know if you ever sell the old one...it's so cool. we've been looking for a long time but can't afford a newer one

    ReplyDelete